All of our workshops are taught in our workshop space in Nailsea, North Somerset, a short drive from Clevedon, Weston Super Mare, Portishead, Bristol and the Chew Valley.
Scroll through our calendar to see what’s available, or click on the drop down menu above if you’re looking for a particular craft.
- This event has passed.
Postponed due to teacher illness – Challenging your Painting ‘Gremlins’
June 23 @ 10:30 am - 1:00 pm
One event on June 30, 2018 at 10:30am
This two-part painting workshop is designed to challenge our fears about painting images that we think we could never master, or fear will spoil a painting if we attempt to include them. Jeff, who teaches all of our painting workshops, firmly believes unless we start to include our ‘gremlins’ into a painting it’s already spoilt, because it’s not finished and never will be if we don’t push the boundaries. Suitable for all levels of painters including beginners. It’s designed so the notion of challenging the ‘gremlins’ becomes embedded in your practice either from the start or from wherever you are now in your painting journey.The workshop will also include exploring different techniques to add colour, texture, depth and so on to your paintings.
The tutor, Jeff, will discuss with you, individually, the subjects you are reticent about, for instance people, animals and birds in landscape, angry skies in seascapes, silver and glass in still life, and so on. Even Jeff avoids things he is not confident about painting, but reminds himself he needs to overcome the gremlin so he can improve his practice.
Materials will be provided but please feel free to bring your own if you have them
The workshops will include:
- Individual discussions to explore the different blocks to painting that exist. These will then be shared with the class and Jeff will look to create a collaborative and nurturing approach to the blocks and encourage the group to work as a team supporting one another.
- Introduction to importance of drawing – perspective, shapes, figures, light and dark and shade, etc
- Selecting a subject (those little gremlins)
- Selecting the right materials
- Choosing colours for the palette, mixing colours and applying colours to the preferred surface such as watercolour paper,acrylic paper, board, canvas or other surfaces like wood, glass, pebbles and so on
- Exploring the use of different techniques – wet on wet, wet on dry, dry brush strokes, thinning down, graduation, impasto.
Our resident painting tutor Jeff will teach you techniques and tricks with both the paints and the brushes that never fail to produce stunning results.
What do our customers say about our workshops?
What was the best thing about the workshop?
I am not very artistic , so it caters for all levels, and still the end product looks good. (Fused Glass, February 2018)
Really helpful teaching and nice small group. Loved it! (Claire, Beginners Machine Sewing January 2018)
Very enjoyable relaxed atmosphere, learning new techniques. (Jan, Weave Pattern and Texture on a Peg Loom, January 2018)
Making something I’m proud of, learning new skills, and the social side. Cheese scone recommended! (Jan, January 2018, Beginners Patchwork)
A good way to spend time with friends; the finished product; swishing around with my new skirt; learning how to use my sewing machine. (Mar, Darcy, Lizzie, and Isabella. January 2018, Children’s private group sewing)
Lovely relaxing thing to do in the build up to Christmas. (Claire, Fused Glass, December 2017)
Very relaxing and enjoyable, will definitely do more at home. (Sharon, Needle Felting, December 2017)